A friend of a friend called me in need of some technical help with her WordPress website. For the last few months, her page visual editor was blank with no text, images or buttons, even though her posts did have content. It had meant that she hadn’t updated her content and was in desperate need to do so.
As it had been a while since the issue started she couldn’t remember what she had done just previously to it starting. She thought it may have been after a WordPress update.
I tried the usual troubleshooting process of:
- clear browser cache
- deactivating all plugins
- change theme
But none of these had an effect so I did some research and came across a few support threads and posts:
- Visual editor is no longer working
- Visual editor not working after 3.3 upgrade
- Visual editor not working in 3.5
- How to fix white text and missing buttons in WordPress Visual Editor
The people who had the same issue had cured the problem by doing one of these suggestions:
- Install “Use Google Libraries” plugin
- Add to your wp-config.php file: define( ‘CONCATENATE_SCRIPTS’, false );
- Download a refresh version of WordPress from WordPress.org and via ftp replace /wp-includes/js/tinymce folder
- Download a refresh version of WordPress from WordPress.org and via ftp replace /wp-includes folder
I tried all of the above and had no joy. Completely stumped.
Then I read the comments on the last post in that list, and in particular, the comment by Gregg Luhring struck a cord. I had noted in the General Settings that the site URL and WordPress URL had a colon “:” after the end of the URL. It was something I was going to check out once I had sorted this issue!
So I removed the offending colons, clicked save and had to log in again. The problem was fixed!
No, I’ve no idea why there was a colon in the WordPress and Site URL field in the first place.
I thank you Gregg Luhring.
Goes to show, it is always worth reading the comments 🙂